Important Upcoming Dates
April 17-Set up for Grad fashion show
April 20-Grad Fashion Show-7 pm (Gym)
April 22-PLC Day (early dismissal)
May 5-Report Cards sent home (end of day)
Planning is underway for a Spring Break 2016 trip to Italy. It is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in another culture for 2 weeks in a beautiful Northern Italian city (Verbania-close to Switzerland and Germany) Questions about this trip can be relayed to Mr. Kochanuk at the school. Please see the informational flyer at the bottom of this page for more details. There will be an informational parent meeting on Thursday, January 30 at 7 pm in Room 216 at Highland.
Please find at the bottom of this page the latest Grad Transitions update, letting you know where your son or daughter is with regards to completing their grad transitions work. The Grad information section of the website (Student/Parent tab---Grad----Grad Information), you will find important upcoming grad events and a document with Frequently Asked Questions about Grad.
School Bus Schedules, Transportation and Bus Passes for 2014/15:
* Monday, September 22, 2014 - regular morning pick-up. Elementary school dismissal will be at 11:45 am; all other schools will have dismissal two hours earlier than the usual times for your school.
* Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - regular morning pick-up and after school drop off as per the regular school year schedule.
Schools have varying start up times so please visit the school district website (www.sd71.bc.ca) or contact schools directly for accurate information.
For more information on bus schedules, transportation, bus passes and registration please visit:http://www.sd71.bc.ca/pdfs/busing/School-Opening-Bus-Passes-2014-2015.pdf
We are looking forward to moving into the new school year. There will be appropriate adjustments to the provincial examination schedules, semester dates, etc. from the Ministry however, the Ministry will not be adding additonal days to the school calendar. Further information will be available soon.
PLC Day Schedule
The next PLCschedule is Wednesday, April 22. The schedule is as follows:
9:00-9:57 (B Block)
10:00-10:57 (A Block)
11:50-12:47 (D Block)
12:50-1:50 (C Block)
What is a PLC, anyway?
A PLC is a Professional Learning Community. It involves an on-going process in which educators work collaboratively in teams to achieve better results for the students they serve. The 3 Big Ideas that drive a PLC are:
1) The purpose of the school is to ensure all students learn at high levels
2) Helping all students learn requires a collaborative and collective effort
3) To help all students to learn we must focus on results (evidence of student learning) and use results to inform and improve our professional practice and respond to students who need intervention or enrichment.
At Highland, we believe that by giving educational staff’s collaborative time we will be far more effective in helping students learn. The collective educational wisdom on a staff outweighs that of any single staff member working in isolation in a classroom. The ultimate goal/purpose for incorporating PLC’s in SD#71 is to improve student learning.
We encourage all parents and students to check out all the information about PLC's on the school district website on the following link: